Beef & Beer Pot Pies
Rich and hearty, these beef pot pies will melt in your mouth. Serve with crusty bread or mashed potato.
- 500g Diced Beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 75g frozen peas
- 600ml pale ale
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sheets pre-made shortcrust or puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a moderate heat. In a large plastic bag add the flour with salt and pepper. Add the beef and toss in the seasoned flour.
- Cook the beef in batches for 3-4 minutes until brown, turning occasionally. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- In the same frying pan cook the onions, garlic and carrots for 3-4 minutes and transfer to the casserole dish.
- Add the peas, ale, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the beef from the sauce and use forks to shred. Return the shredded beef to the casserole dish and stir through with the sauce. Cool slightly and remove the bay leaves.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, (180°C fan forced) and remove the pastry sheets from the freezer (if frozen).
- Spoon the beef mixture equally into four 300ml round or oval ovenproof dishes. Brush the edges of each dish with water. Place the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut four equal rounds of pastry to fit the pie dishes and seal around the edges. Brush the pastry all over with egg and make a small hole in the centre of each pie to allow the steam to escape.
- Place all the pie dishes on a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
- Serve with crusty bread or mashed potatoes.