This is a classic French dish, perfect for winter and best enjoyed with crusty bread or creamy mash.
- 1 kg Chicken Casserole Pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g button mushrooms
- 1 cup red or white wine
- 2 tbsp tomato passata
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Heat olive oil and half of the butter in a large lidded casserole dish.
- Season the chicken casserole pieces, then fry on each side until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in the casserole dish, add the onion and fry for five minutes, or until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and stir in the tomato passata. Simmer and reduce on low for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme sprigs and add chicken stock
- Return the chicken pieces into the dish, cover and simmer on low heat for about 1 hour or until the chicken is very tender.
- Remove the chicken peices, wrap in foil and set aside, keeping them warm.
- Bring the remaining sauce to the boil and reduce for about 10 minutes, until the sauce is more concentrated and syrupy.
- Return the chicken pieces to the sauce and serve.