Ham and Cheese Croquettes
Use up any leftover ham with this crunchy, tasty croquettes recipe.
- 25g butter
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 2/3 cup plain flour (divided)
- 1 cup milk
- 150g Ziggys ham, diced
- 1/4 cup grated mature cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 2 large eggs
- 140g fine dried breadcrumbs
- sunflower oil for frying
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and gently fry the onion for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in1/3 cup of flour and cook for 30 seconds. Gradually add in the milk, and reduce the heat to low, stirring mixture constantly for about 5 minutes. Mixture should become thick and glossy.
- Stir in the ham, cheeses, mustard and cream and season to taste. Cook on low for 1 more minute, stirring constantly until the cheese melts.
- Pour the mixture until a bowl or container and seal tightly. Leave to cool, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight, until the mixture is very stiff.
- When ready, take heaped teaspoons of the mixture, roll into oval shapes (using wet hands), and place on a cool tray.
- Make a production line by placing the remaining 1/3 cup flour on a plate, beat the eggs in a shallow bowl and then place the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl.
- Prepare a baking tray with baking paper.
- Roll each croquette lightly in flour, then in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs and place on the lined baking tray.
- Refrigerate for half and hour.
- When ready to fry the croquettes, fill a large saucepan 1/3 full with the sunflower oil and to 180 degrees Celsius (you can also use a deep fryer). Be careful not to overheat the oil and do not leave unattended.
- Use a metal slotted spoon, lower 6 croquettes into the oil and cook for 90 seconds, or until golden brown. Remove from the oil and place on a tray lined with paper towel and continue cooking the rest.
- Serve with spicy aioli, cranberry sauce or chili jam.