Sausage, Cider and Apple Casserole
This casserole is packed full of beautiful flavours, marrying the time honoured favourites of pork and apple and creating a warming and satisfying meal.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 pork sausages
- 200g bacon cut into strips
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large celery sticks, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml medium or dry cider
- 300ml fresh chicken stock
- 8 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 small apples
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Heat the oil in a large pan (with a lid). Add the sausages and brown them all over, then transfer to a plate.
- Add the bacon to the pan and fry for 5 minutes until crisp and brown. Transfer to the plate with the sausages.
- Drain off all but 1 tbsp of the oil from the pan, add the onions and garlic. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring now and then, until soft and lightly browned.
- Take off the lid, stir in the celery and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in the tomato purée and flour, then gradually stir in the cider and stock and bring to the boil.
- Return the sausages and bacon to the casserole, then stir in the sage and mustard. Add the thick sliced apples. Cover, put in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve with mashed sweet potato and steamed broccoli.